Friday, April 22, 2011

Polaroid Love

I have been handed a treasure. One that I do not fully understand yet and perhaps, that I will need to deserve. My mom cleaned out her closets, boxes and storage as she is preparing to sell her house. She walked up to me with a big bulky black box dangling from a string, that I see from the corner of my eye... 


Could it be??? No...


"I thought you might use this for your photography...you know, if it's not too old."


It was a Polaroid Spirit camera. The one I remembered my parents using when I was a child, the one from which came most of my baby pictures. The one I was so sad to hear my parents had "misplaced" or "gotten rid of". My mom pipes up: "I took all of my graduation photos with this, sweetheart." It was in front of me, in all it's glorious vintage charm.


I tinkered a bit with it, curious but afraid of breaking anything. A few blank photos popped out! The film was way too old and it'd been in there for...how many years? It was nostalgic and mysterious nonetheless. I started thinking of the fun I could have playing with this very old camera, if I were to get my hands on polaroid film... Apparently, you can get some anywhere on the web - remember how I've stated I find the Internet to be a wonderful place - but specifically, you can find anything polaroid-related through the polaroid-passion website. That said, my being entrusted with such an oldschool jewel, I'm inspired to learn from local business owners and experts such as the Camera Trading Company, on Bank street (Ottawa). I'd first like to find out if they have film and if they could evaluate its condition. 


I really don't see how it would not work, as my mother took exquisite care of her belongings, but what if it needs to be cleaned or tuned-up? Ok, it's not a car, but any antique or car collector knows that you need to verify the condition of collectibles, and if you find a priceless piece, then you need to make sure it's up to par! I feel like I suddenly became a parent and feel ill-equiped to care for this new baby of mine.


At the same time, I probably know more about cameras (tools) and photography (art) than I ever have before. Maybe that is why I can appreciate the value of my mother's gift. Maybe that is why it still holds such wonder to me that this camera, however bulky for our digital age, is its own dark room. Wow.


As soon as I've settled into my new pad, I will go on a Polaroid adventure. After all, I will soon be exploring film more in depth through SPAO's Film Bootcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment