Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Contemporary Dance in Music Videos


Apparently, I'm late on this trend, but I've just discovered Christina Perri through her single "Jar of Hearts". I was listenning to one of these free music playlists such as Grooveshark and as I was basking in my enjoyment of a variety of styles and artists, this melancholic and haunting melody comes on. I asked my very own DJ who that was... As I drove home, I get a text: Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts. I youtubed her, and here I am, blogging.

Why?

Christina Perri's album cover
Ok. I like the song, but I thought I'd share how I appreciate the artistic appeal of her video. It's important for musicians to set themselves apart with a striking video, along with a peculiar sound and why not a touch of personal style?

I liked her voice and her vibe. I like the girl's look, ink and fucky hair. The video's gloomy grey tone, wind and dust contrast nicely with the artist's white dress and the delicate form of the dancers' bodies.

Have I mentioned that contemporary dance is showcased in a mainstream video?

Yeah, that's why I like this clip: despite the commercial context, the dancing is personal. The solo contemporary is accessible yet powerful. Moreover, the duet is one I find compelling.

In this clip, dance not only complements what the artist is singing about, but could easily tell the story of a broken heart and a conflicted relationship through body movement and semiotics.

Dance is self-expression. Dance is a hybrid of language and symbology. It communicates emotion on a level that is often difficult to verbalize. In this fashion, dance is an art form that can never be replaced, no matter how precarious or ephemeral it may appear when compared to more tangible and to seamingly more permanent disciplines, such as visual arts or even theatre.

Dance is a moment. It is a way to illustrate humanity with most accuracy: beautiful, imperfect, lively, ephemeral, delicate and powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment