Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Event Photography - Part 1

From the Black Light Party, March 2011
(c) M. Déziel-Hupé, 2011
I met with my photo teacher, Harry Nowell, last week to discuss my progress in the certificate program (also known as the ProProgram). Many items were discussed, such as balancing technical perfection and circumstance in the quality of your photos. Another topic we discussed was the level of difficulty in certain types of photography, namely, in Event Photography. This, of course, ties into to the conversation we had regarding technical perfection and circumstances.

What came out of it was that essentially, as opposed to Studio Photography, Event Photography is a field that offers little to no control over your subject. This in turn complicates your job as event photographer - how do you get everything on the shot list? Which lens do you use? Is your lighting test correct? What's too much in terms of equipment? Then, you have to make sure you don't mess up the podium shot, the VIP hand shake or that any other moment you cannot stage, like a christenning's blessing or a wedding's kiss.

From the Black Light Party, March 2011.
(c) M. Déziel-Hupé, 2011.
Harry was expressing how proud he was that most of what I was shooting recently was Event Photography because I was therefore challenging myself in a way, to get THE photo (or photos) that reflect the event I'm covering. Most of them have been dance-related events, which is a passion for me. Tonight, I'm actually applying my acquired knowledge and skills to my job's AGM. I'm already breaking into sweats about the podium shots... I'm more of a mix and mingle photographer then the type who boldly goes to the front of the crowd and attracts plenty of attention with her equipment. Alas, that is part of the gig.

Here's to hoping I get everything I need on the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment