Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Second year in a row...

I think we can safely say that I'm a decent shagger now. I swear, I have a medal to prove it.

This past week-end, my competition partner William Ewanick and I took 2nd in the Advanced Jack'n'Jill Shag Dance division. Not bad, considering that last year, I competed in Newcomer and took 2nd as well with then, J&J partner, Jean-François Harbour. That's all fine and dandy, but winning in Newcomer most often means you're no longer a newbie and should compete with the big boys.


All The Cats Join In, Disney, 1937
 I garantee that is what Shag Explosion does to someone. For a whole week-end, I took workshops and learned about Shag moves and technique and of course, how to wrap it all up and make it look awesome on the dance floor.

People from all over come to this event; Toronto, Montréal, Québec, New York and Washington dancers represented. It was a wonderful sharing and growing experience for any shagger. More swing dancers should take time to learn how to dance Shag socially; it's a heart-pumping, calorie burning, pun-filled dance. Besides, what can you do on fast, rhythmic music? You Shag. It's the way to go really.

Congrats to my fellow competitors David Lee & Gabrielle Kern (1rst, Advanced J&J) and to Tony Fraser & Aimee Mannella (3rd, Advanced J&J). You guys made the competition juices flow, pals.

A special thank you to Swing Dynamite for organizing the week-end, to Montrealers Zack & Maryse for teaching, to our American friends who drove this far Tony Fraser & Jaime Shannon (NYC) as well as David & Chelsea Lee (DC). Lastly, thank you to my fellow swing dancers who are an inspiration.

Oh yeah... Bill... FASTER! Is this BLUES? Just messing with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment