Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vegetarian, not Alien

I haven't been a vegetarian for very long (it'll be a year in September) nor have I cut out fish. No matter your reason for chosing vegetarianism, you'll inevitably go through some rough phases and period where you wonder about your place in an omnivorous society.


I grew up in a family eating all types of foods, including meat. I've never been a huge fan; I only ate extra-lean, well-cooked meats. I grew to like the taste, but the sight of raw meat (or the feel of it) and the preparation always turned me off. The idea of hunting or picturing an animal dying to be on my plate would make my stomach churn. I pretended I had no part in the process. In a way, you'll say, it was an easy choice for me to cut it out. It was, and it wasn't. I grew accustomed to certain meaty tastes (i.e. bacon, anyone?), I forgot how gelatin was an insidious ingredient (i.e. in yogourt and marshmellows) and I took for granted social rituals, especially surrounding holidays.


Paul McCartney - Famous & successful vegetarian
It was like stepping into an entirely different world. Restaurants, office lunches, travelling snacks hors d'oeuvres at gallery openings, offered far less options than I was use to. Most restaurants would tell me "we have salad" (which meant they had a green leaf salad with next to nothing in it) - as though I were a rabbit, giving me the most disconcerted look. I could read their expression: "Why in all the world's bounty would you want to be vegetarian, lady?" For the first few months, my extended circle of friends kept forgetting about my choice. Even though it wasn't intentionally neglectful, it felt like my decision mattered very little to anyone but to me.


My first Thanksgiving and my first Christmas were rough. My mom was very supportive and incorporated  plenty of vegetables, protein rich dishes and baked me a salmon pie. However, my father was still in denial about my "quitting meat". I had to bring my own vegetarian option as a main course and was offered a few veggies. The smell of the turkey and meat pie filled the houses I went to. Maybe I'm wired all wacky, or maybe it's the effect of years in my Noth American omnivorous culture, but I still thought the smell of a roast was mouth-watering. Fortunately, my friend Victoria invited me to her (Polish) Christmas Eve and luckily, most of their traditional dishes are vegetarian or fish-based. There was hope.


Celebrity Vegan - Natalie Portman
If you're wondering why I chose to become vegetarian (pescetarian as it stands) this would be about the time I asked myself the same question. It's a combination of factors. Meat didn't sit well with me. I couldn't digest it, I couldn't sleep properly, I couldn't loose weight despite my very active lifestyle. I couldn't prepare meat on my own without needing to distract myself from the idea that this was once an animal... I personally felt like a hypocrite. Yes, I believe in animal rights, but I also believe that this is a personal choice. However, I do feel strongly that a mainly carnivore diet has many negative effects on environmental sustainability. If everyone reduced their meat consumption and integrated more vegetarian options, no one would have to "give it up", except if we wanted to, of course. 


Vegetarian Lasagna
I made my decision by telling myself this was a temporary choice and it is for most people, but I firmly believe I can make this work for a really long time. With appropriate protein replacements and planning, not only can my daily routine of food preparation be nearly effortless, I could also easily adapt to traditional holidays. I found that knowledge is power; did you know red lentils replace ground beef wonderfully in most recipes? My inner Garfield threw a party as I could now have a hearty lasagna.


Support is incredibly important. From other vegetarians, but also from your social circle. Your friends and family need to be aware of dietery restrictions and substitutions, veggie-friendly restaurants and ensure to involve you in holiday and event meal planning. My brother use to be vegetarian, but essentially, my family and partner are meat-eaters. Fortunately, Scott makes tremendous efforts to accomodate my lifestyle by reducing the amount of meat we store at home, cooking vegetarian dinners for us both and informing our hosts of my diet. He's even quicker to ask waitors about their vegetarian options when we walk into a restaurant. That is the type of support that makes the omnivore/vegetarian relationship work! 


North Indian Curry - Vegetarian
I've learned a lot about my body, about blood types, about protein and about cooking. I've learned the differences in types of vegetarianism (ovo-lacto, vegan, pescetarian) and the motivations that drive many of us to this choice. Many ethnic foods are surprisingly vegetarian friendly. So there, I have the world on my plate, from Thailand and India, to Italy, Ethiopia and Mexico.

The obstacles do not discourage me. They stimulate me: how can I thrive when all these factors act against a lifestyle I chose because I believe in it? I just need to create new traditions, adapt old ones, find new restaurants, browse cyberspace for new ideas, get one trusty cookbook and keep reminding people that this is a legitimate lifestyle choice.


As many vegetarians joke, when you get down, remember there is no meat in chocolate! :-)

5 comments:

  1. do you have a recipe for the vegetarian indian curry one??? Ohh Yes! It was very inspiring reading it. Thankyou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mai Ying, I do not have that recipe personally, but Allrecipes.ca has a fabulous variety of quicksearch recipes by ingredient or type. You can also check out Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" vegan book. Surprisingly, Stumbleupon.com also has some pretty nifty suggestions. Let me know how that works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not a vegetarian. You consume fish, which is still animal flesh. You're a pescetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Mercedes,

    While you're still eating fish, here's my favourite recipe: Seviche (and actually my fav seviche recipe). And it doesn't require any cooking (but don't worry, it isn't sashimi).

    Tilapia or any mild white fish, 2/3 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, 1 tomato, 4 tbsp olive oil, jalapeno, onion and garlic. Chop everything into tiny squares (consistency in size is important). Marinate the fish in the lime juice (make sure all the fish is in the lime juice) for 3 hours in the fridge, stirring avery hour or so. Add in the rest of the ingredients, marinate for another 2 hours, serve cold with nachos or some type of scooping chip. Eh voila! Really really yummy.

    As for the veg lasanga, here's the one my mum makes: take your regular lasagna recipe, replace the meat with sauteed and chopped broccoli, cauli, carrots, potatoes, celery, zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Truth Obscured:

    You're correct, I do understand that distinction and had planned to make the full transition to stop eating fish. Most physicians will recommend a transition period; and as I care about my health as much as the environment, I thought I would opt for that route. My blog post explains this plainly in the 5th paragraph. ;-)

    At this point, I do not eat fish anymore, but thank you for your comment. I can't help but feel that it would be helpful if you offered more than a correction, say perhaps, also a recipe you have tried? I'm sure it would help many of us greatly on our journey to becoming vegetarians (not pescetarians). :-)

    ReplyDelete