Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In the Studio with my buddy Fred

This past week-end, Fred and I dragged ourselves to his sister's business (closed on week-ends) and took on the scary studio equipment.

I’m not quite ready to purchase a set of studio lights for myself. Fred decided to jump right in and bought some Bowens kit lights. Ready or not, I must tackle the tech-savvy genius inside me (which seems to be constantly on strike…) before I lose the edge. This would seem like a wise strategy mostly as to NOT forget any studio knowledge I may have acquired through my workshop with Harry Nowell and shadowing Gilda Furgiuele (Royale Boutique Photography).

So here we are on a sunny Sunday afternoon, inside an office space that has bright but locked windows and we are creating a space, building a set, finding a suitable background and putting the strobes together. In no time at all, the set starts looking like pros could be shooting there. Minus the soft box, the light-meter and synch flashes.

I went first.

Fred. (c) Mercedes Déziel-Hupé, 2011
Fred was my photographer client, looking for headshots for his website. That was the story anyway. I shimmied the lights around, played with the foolproof light wheels until I found a desired effect and I chatted with  my model. I improvised with props and poses. The results were surprising. I  must admit, I feel a spark of pride at the sight of my best shots. “Hey, I did that, all on my own!”

Then it was my turn to be a model.

I wonder if we are more difficult models, possibly even pickier than regular clients or if we are more easy-going as photographers in front of the lens… Somehow, I doubt that though. Could photographers be control freaks? Could it be that were are not able to withstand the sense of mystery from not looking through the viewfinder and being the subject? Or perhaps, is it that we don’t feel comfortable not being part of the creative process of a photo? In some cases, that could certainly be… My friend Alain, a fellow Pro Programmer, once told my boyfriend Scott (who was modeling with me that day)  that I “didn’t take too well to direction” -  a statement both of them found quite funny.

(c) Mercedes Déziel-Hupé, 2011
Ahem. Back to our shoot… Poor Fred; “Photoshop that. Crop there. Frame this differently. That’s not flattering at all: did you see the size of my arm? Why is there a shadow there? Maybe try this pose instead… Am I looking at you?” Regardless, Fred was patient and his results, although a very different style from mine, were quite unique. Maybe I’ll post a link to the photos he took, once they are up. One thing is for sure, it was a very constructive session for both of us.

Meanwhile, I am shooting Tara Luz Danse rehearsals at leisure and waiting on my Lomo Fisheye and Diana Mini rolls…

No comments:

Post a Comment