Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Photo Slump

Afternoon Bubbly (c) M. Déziel-Hupé, 2011
I have been lazy. I haven't really shot anything seriously or with any kind of care in over a month. Sure, I snapped photos here and there, but nothing I felt excited about. Am I a photographic failure? Am I a fraud? Am I simply in a slump?

Let's see. I have been in the Pro Program since August 2010 and have not only completed my course requirements, but I've also finished my mandatory shadowing requirements. I wish to continue following and helping my mentor, Gilda Furgiuele, as much as I can when the opportunity arises. If an interesting workshop comes along, like those of David Barbour, at SPAO, I'd sign up. Failure? Fraud? No, it doesn't seem that way on paper...

Starburst Bubbly (c) M. Déziel-Hupé, 2011
But for shooting on my own? Meh. It's like, I have no motivation. I'm guessing it's a phase. It may be that my first Holga film didn't turn out - not one bloody photo! My heart sank at the sight of  "$0.00 - underexposed film". It may be that I had injured my ankle dancing and was somehow slowed down in anything I did. Or maybe it's the recent bad news that struck my family. In any case, I felt like photography became more than casual homework or a pleasant escape, it became a chore.

I began to ask myself how I could possibly want to shoot again. I'm not sure. But here's what I'll try... I've shot in the office in the last few days.

As someone who finishes what she starts and doesn't give up in the face of adversity, I've finished my roll of film on my Diana Mini. I dropped it off for development today and am crossing my figners tightly.

As a good student, I wondered what I needed to work on... I called my buddy Fred who's been shooting portrait for years and taking classes at Algonquin. "Fred, you and I, we need to practice with that set of studio lights of yours. I don't like all that tech stuff, but maybe together, we'll figure it out. How about this week-end?" Fred and I are shooting on Sunday.

Lastly, I thought that if I am to feel the shutterbug again, I need to shoot something I love. Thus, after weeks of procrastination, I introduced myself to Tara Luz Danse's contemporary dancer Julianne to ask her if she would be open to letting me shoot her rehearsal with choreographer Anik Bouvrette. I'm shooting tomorrow morning and attending their vernissage next week.

Project wrap-up! (c) MDH, 2011
Clic by clic, it's coming together.

My teacher, Harry Nowell, believes it is normal to go through phases, as you are learning and that perhaps, the best thing, is to allow yourself a break to better appreciate your hobby or sideline. I suppose the creative juices flow with ease if you allow the creative genius a holiday once in a while. And why not? We use our brains more efficiently when we are rested - a mind at peace is sharp!

Often, Harry tells us to "slow down" and "observe" to enable us to catch THE photo that is stunning, the angle that is unexpected, the detail that is overlooked. This applies to many things... When you step back, take some time and a deep breath, sometimes you can see the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment