Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My favourite blogger

Does it ever happen to you, that a friend refers a blog as they would refer a book?

I guess maybe it's the crowd I hang around with but mine do, all the time. Blogs are a form of guilty pleasure. It's an opportunity to read something entertaining or witty and experience someone else's point of view. This other person is not necessarily an Ivy League graduate or an experienced journalist. They are often ordinary people with special itnerests or a particular desire to express them.

Some of them just like the sound of their own voice... But for the most part, a successful blog is one that has a marketable appeal. For instance, My Milk Toof is an artistic blog about the adventures of milk teeth once a child grows his adult molars. Naturally, this was a suggestion from my Fine Arts Major colleague at OSA - Thanks Virginia, I love Ickle and Lardee.

My personal favourite blog is one of photography. It was not referred to me by a friend but discovered randomly on Twitter. I was intrigued by the Tweeter's Photobooth profile pic and I ventured onto her website: Hula Seventy.

Andrea, a blogger, is a fan of photography, but not of just any type – traditional 35 mm photography. A blogger since 2005, she is addicted to Polaroid. Naturally, she also takes digital photos, but her preferred field is “old school” photography.

She takes a new look through old lenses.

With her choice of subject and use of light and colours, her images denote a simplicity and freshness that heals the wounded heart of daily monotony. Her postings include extracts from her activities and projects, as well as a brief description, anecdote or poem.

She also caters to her readers with her famous “Photobooth Fridays,” which have taken on a life of their own. Every Friday, Andrea takes pictures in a photo booth. Sometimes with her children, often alone, with whacky accessories to share a narrative.

Bill & Gab (c) Mercedes Déziel-Hupé
Despite her working with themes, she is not confined by them. The images she produces translate the joy for life that she expresses in her written texts. This is a blog for all lovers of photographic art!

This blogger communicates simply and effectively. Reading her blog just makes you wish you could befriend her. 

As for me, well, I keep on dancing. Here's a Balboa shot, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment