Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tribute to a War Photographer

It's always a wonder to me why war photographers do what they do. I suppose someone has to document the atrocities and the violence that humans perpetrate. Someone has to tell the soldier's story, so he or she, is not alone on the battlefield. Someone needs to know what was put on the line for our mother lands and in the name of peace... 


I just don't think I could do it. 


My visit to the World Press Photo Exhibit this summer confirmed my hunch: I don't have the stomach for the gore, I don't have the nerves for the pressure and I don't have the strenght to stand by and watch because, deep inside, I would know that immediate interference would not make a difference, but the image circulating across the world might. Maybe, just maybe, we'll snap out of all this chaos... "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" (Lennon)

Cyberpresse and The New York Times share this photographer's last war shots. From my understanding, he is injured but alive and recovering. However, the loss of a photographer's legs definitely changes the conditions under which he or she practices their profession. As a tribute to this brave man, Joao Silva, here is the link to his photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment