Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

It's that time of year again!

Madness in shopping malls, chaos on the roads, uber slow people in parking lots eyes peeled for a spot... Have I mentioned I disliked Christmas shopping?

It's that time... when people impose holiday parties, potlucks and gift exchanges. Whether "White Elephant" or "Secret Santa" I have never been a big fan of gift exchanges. Scratch that. I think they're wonderful, when they save you from extra expenses and added stress. I love how eco-friendly and sustainable they can be... when they are not of a zillion obligated party gifts.

Yes, I get it, the joy of giving... What if there's nothing left to give? What if there's no joy when you tell me I must give? I don't want to rant, but the spirit of Christmas is not about gifts, I'm sorry, but it's about love for human kind. Where does it say: "Thou shall love thy neighbor and buy him gifts at every office party" ?

I would not brag or complain about some unfortunate events that occured in my life in 2010 but they have served many a purpose. A lot of what seemed like loss or bad luck has actually had the effect of pruning; I'm getting back to basics. I'm grateful for that, now more than then, but hey, better late than never!

I've discovered my artistic potential, I've reconnected with the child in me and I've rekindled my relationship with Mother Earth - or so, I try. Limitations force us to be creative, especially when they are financial ones while simplicity has a way of easing stress and bringing out childlike spontaneity. Frugality was always a value I was familiar with, but lately, it's helped me realize how we over-consume, over-spend and how ultimately, we're damaging our planet and our financial and psychological well-being.

I'd like to thank my great group of friends for making this year's gift exchange an eco-friendly/homemade affair. I was able to put my talents to good use and to benefit from one of my friend's thoughtfulness and creativity. I received a homemade vegetarian cookbook to suit my new dietery choice (going on 4 months!) and a set of flash filters to have some photo fun. I was very excited with both gifts, but I was specially touched by how she took time to piece together all her favourite recipes to ease my transition into this lifestyle.

Thank you to Swing Dynamite, for putting together a clothing exchange and allowing the rest of the donations to be brought to charity.

Lastly, thanks for my photo teachers for encouraging me in pursuing my new hobby which is quickly growing into a passion. Your passion is evident and I'm so happy that you are sharing it with me. Harry, your workshops and continued support have been immensely helpful and generated many "Ah-ha!" moments. Gilda, your eagerness to help, your unique style and your eye for aesthetics have been inspiring.

This Christmas, I'll be enjoying down time with family, friends, some R&R in pijamas with novels and some much needed grass roots time in the kitchen with my new cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment