Monday, December 6, 2010

Musical Crush: Greg Laswell

Greg Laswell singing "Comes & goes"
Even though I'd heard his songs quite a few times and my friends raved about him, I fell in love with Greg Laswell last Friday, at Zaphod's. He doesn't know it, of course, but that is beside the point.

Quietly sitting at a table, answering blackberry messages, he seemed pensive. In the background, a young woman's mermaid voice was already reaching the back of the bar, enticing the crowd. Was he preparing for the show, getting in the right mind set? Or was he wondering if he should have a pint? He doesn't look like the type who needs to loosen up. Calm and collected, he was understated. That is, until he took the stage. His poker face humor seemed to charm the crowd. 

Greg Laswell was opening for Jeremy Fisher, but frankly, I was there to see what his live performance was like. Usually, I'll fall for a band or artist when I feel their presence on stage. Greg's lyrics are profound and his melodies get under your skin and into your head, permanently. Yet, I needed some kind of confirmation that this indie artist was a cut above many I've heard and seen before. You know, back in the days I use to be an emerging artist columnist... in the good old days when I was paid to attend shows and chat it up with bands. But I digress! That said, his connection to the crowd was a natural one; like a friend meeting up with old time buddies.

Greg Laswell
His set was too short, it left most of us wanting more. Don't get me wrong, Jeremy Fisher was great and I'm quite pleased with this discovery as well. It was well worth the ticket. Greg played a few of his classics, such as Comes and goes. In the tradition of live shows, he graced us with covers: among these, his humorous indie cover of Lauper's Girls just wanna have fun

I had no choice but to give in to the impulse. Seduced by the artistry of his album, his relaxed unpretentious performance and his somewhat reserved demeanor, the mystery was consuming me: I had to buy  my own copy of Three flights from alto nido.

A wise choice of a stocking stuffer or gift exchange purchase.
Happy Listening to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment