Monday, October 25, 2010

Shadowing: Not a passive role

Over the week-end, I had my second shadowing experience in photography. My first was with Gilda Furgiuele (Royale Boutique Photography) in the studio a few weeks ago, and my second was with my teacher, Harry Nowell (Harry Nowell Photography). Even though I have another 30 hours of shadowing to do, I can already tell that shadowing is anything but a passive role.


I haven't shot any photos in either case yet. Partly, this is because I didn't have the models sign releases for me as well as the photographers hired (Gilda & Harry) but also because of lack of experience and of material. For instance, it's difficult to shoot in studio without a flash - enough said. Also, Harry wanted me to pay close attention to his interaction with his client, to his set-up and to results achieved. In both cases, I had to observe, take mental (or actual) notes and ask questions about how to run a smooth shoot.


Sure, there was a lot of standing around and a few rather long stretches but they were all part of a photographer's reality. There are a lot of elements involved in a shoot, whether it be studio or on location. There's planning: getting to know your client and their needs and figuring out how you're going to meet those needs and achieve great results that will get you a good reputation with this client, and perhaps even another gig. There's set-up: where are you shooting, what equipment do you need and how long will it take? There's the actual shoot, with all this entails: interacting with the client, directing and taking the photos and providing feedback, asking for it and making delivery arrangements. Then there's post-processing and delivery. I haven't assisted in these stages yet, but from my own experience, this tends to be a lenghty, tedious stage.


At any rate, I've managed to successfully build a few sets, lug equipment, interact with the clients and even - lucky me! - choreograph some action shots. I left both shoots wondering just how much I'd learned. I realized that shadowing isn't about theory and what you can recite or write down, it really is about experience and growing ease with the "doing" part of learning. Shadowing, even when you are not shooting, is about familiarizing yourself with the environment, the dynamics and going through the motions of a photographer's unconventional routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment