Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Camera Doesn't Make the Photographer

Amelia. (c) Mercedes Déziel-Hupé, 2011
When I first started shooting, I was very intimidated by photographers with fancy gear. I remember Angelina McCormick telling me that she constantly reminded her students: "The Camera doesn't make the photographer". I remembered thinking, sure, but, the camera must play a role in the quality of a photo, right? Well, that's only partly true.

You see, the camera is a tool and sure, with good tools come great possibilities, but photography is a science as much as an art, and it requires knowledge of the tool (however fancy or expensive) to properly use it and produce great pictures. Sometimes, removing the technical aspect allows the photographer to focus on what's on the other side of the camera: the subject at hand.



I recently started photographing with my camera phone (and toy cameras as well, like the Mini Diana), just to put this theory to the test. Could I in fact produce interesting, technically good and even breathtaking photos with a low quality camera? You can judge for yourself, this portrait was taken on my cell at the end of a photoshoot - just for fun - and the results were exciting.


Try it for yourself: take a point and shoot (or if you're feeling bold, take a camera phone) and concentrate on your subject, the background, the colours, instead of the camera and you'll get wonderful and surprising results.

No comments:

Post a Comment