Saturday, August 20, 2011

That Boy Red inside all of us

Back when I was working for the AOE Arts Council, that is when I started meeting interesting artists in need of tips for self-promotion. Unfortunately, part of the problem in building a career in arts has often more to do with a lack of business and marketing knowledge than it does with a lack of talent or opportunity. This said, as the Communications Coordinator for AOE at the time, I frequently met with these local artists to discuss their target audiences and strategize on their next moves. This was a very stimulating but also very tedious task. Occasionally, I met an individual with a lot of drive and I felt even more encouraged to share my professional tips. Ottawa Award winning author Rachna Gilmore is one of these people.


I first met Rachna at an AOE Meet'n'Munch and we chatted briefly about the writing and publishing business. She struck me as a lively woman, with a bright mind and buckets full of curiosity: for learning, for life and for people. Over the space of a couple of months, we chatted about new ways to reach out to her demographic: youth and schools. Her books are both researched and well-written, accessible and relevant. Having known tremendous success with The Trouble with Dilly, we wondered how to promote That Boy Red, a historical novel about an 11 year-old boy growing up in PEI, in the Depression. The whole book was based on anecdotes her father-in-law would recount. I thought the book would basically sell itself: it's dynamic, it's fun, it's realistic and it speaks to Canadians. And what a hook to say this was based on family stories! As a thank you, Rachna offered me a copy of my own to read. It's a few months later, in preparing my trip to PEI for a family wedding, that I decided to crack it open.


To my surprise, I couldn't put the book down. At best, I expected a charming story with a few chuckles. What I got was a captivating tale of a fiery lad with a thirst for life. He is hard working, curious and has a temper but a good heart. He gets caught in these crazy adventures but in the end, he's a good kid who loves his family. I laughed out loud and I even read a few chapters to Scott - who loved the chapter on the Outhouse Bandit. The protagonist somehow reminded me of my childhood, despite having grown up in the 80s-90s in a city, near the capital. That is to say, I can't help but think there is a Red in all of us. The narrative flows, the dialect comes through, the drama is balanced with humor and the tale is believable. I highly recommend That Boy Red to any child, teen or adult needing to connect with this youthful spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment