Wednesday, August 10, 2011

From the West to the East Coast

I love to travel. I love everything about it. The discovery, the sense of adventure, the people, the food and music, the transportation, the spontaneity, even the waiting in transit and the mishaps. This year, I could not leave the country for some customary globe-trotting, but I am definitely one to seize opportunities when they come my way. Actually, I swim out to my ship frequently, I don't wait for it to come into harbour. This summer, the wind blew my sails from West to East.

In July, Scott was sent to Vancouver to work on a conference for about a week. Due to a very fortunate combination of circumstance, I was able to follow. Actually, I prefer, to say I bumped my own rather blurry plans to visit Vancouver to this summer, as there were good odds of this trip being a successful one. My brother Tristan often says: "Mercedes, why do you rush to go overseas, when there is so much of this beautiful country to see?" He's right. Travelling, much like charity, should start at home.

I'd taken a few trips to Europe and of course, I had been to the States, Mexico and Cuba all by 2009. But how much of my homeland had I seen? Well, I'd been to Montreal and Québec countless times. I have only been to Toronto a few times as a professional and I'd only really toured through the many picturesque regions of Québec in 2008, back when I worked a Liaison contract for the uOttawa. Since then, I hadn't ventured much out of Ottawa or Montreal. Friends lived in Vancouver for the past year or so, but I couldn't afford the plane fare nor the time off.

With Scott working there, lodging came with the deal and thanks to my avid traveller friend Phil - who also happens to work for Air Canada - I found a ridiculously good ticket deal! Effectively, there were no more obstacles keeping me from drifting to the West Coast. Cold weather aside, I loved Vancouver. How can it be so cold in July? I don't mind the rain so much, but I hadn't exactly packed for 15 degrees Celcius ! I guess that serves me right for not checking the weather network. Oh well.

Vancouver Art Gallery, (c) Ahmad Kavousian (Flickr)
I explored on my own; visited art galleries, namely the Vancouver Art Gallery, Granville Street, cycled through Stanley Park, danced at the Show Boat, had sushi at Shabusen, met local swing dancers and shot plenty of photos. Together, Scott and I made our way to the artsy Granville Island, brunched at Café Medina, walked through Gastown, we dined at the seafood Mecca Joe Fortes, we surfed the free wave when our friend Lisa got us into the Aquarium. We also visited the UBC campus, the Nitobe Garden and Wreck Beach (clothing optional)...we took off our socks - My my!

I guess I'm grateful for Scott in more ways than one. Not only does he enhance the quality of my life with his friendship and love, but travelling together is also a delight. I must admit also, that he provides me with the "excuse" to travel to these places with specific targets: when/where/why/what to do/with whom? I had a choice and I chose to experience something new. That's what it's all about. This past spring, we also found out that a cousin of his was tying the knot...in PEI. I heard the Maritimes calling, even then and my heart skipped a beat.

Anne of Green Gables, PEI Tourism.
The August wedding is happening this week-end, finally. My suitcase is packed with the essentials: clothes for unpredictable weather, fancy outfits for the wedding (I bring two, I don't know my crowd!), a few products and of course, my camera gear. Digital and Mini Diana are my companions. they are witnesses to my adventures. In preparation for my departure, I read a bit about The Island, I am half way through That Boy Red, a novel by local award winning author Rachna Gilmore and I've been listening to a Celtic satellite radio station. WHAT? To me, a trip is like Christmas; I get in the mood and I feel very enthusiastic about the whole deal. Whale watching, local arts & crafts, Cavendish & Anne of Green Gables, red sand, potato-parade and scary lobsters; I won't eat. Honestly, I wonder about food that looks like it could either escape my plate or worse, fight back.

Based on my relationship to each coast, respectively instigated and in utero, I gather that Vancouver will have been for the Art, and Charlottetown, for the Heart.

The wind is rising, I'm set for the Island adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment