Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Good Ol' Suave

Recently, a dance friend of mine posted this video of the Overtones on facebook. Since then, I've been playing this on loop and humming the song in the office, snapping my fingers like a jazz musician and adding a bounce to my "swagger". Basically, the dandy vibe is contagious. You'd think this would have more impact on men... but I think it's probably the dancer in me that can't resist the beat. My whole body moves to this song, it's beyond me!


Watching the video came after the melody crept into my veins. It certainly is easy on the eyes... It got me thinking about the musical industry, harmony bands and of course, men's image.


Disclosure: I am a hardcore fan of Michael Bublé and can certainly appreciate fellow contemporary crooners such as Matt Dusk. It's not that I swoon over these men, but their confidence, their charisma and presence have a way of getting me weak in the knees, getting me on a dance floor and singing along (witnesses of these symptoms are victims of my lack of singing ability). 


The good ol' suave style, smooth singing and dorky dancing convey's a gentleman-like aura that constitutes a dying breed nowadays. Not that I want to brag about swing dancers (because you know I can!), but these guys have more of a tendency to clean up their look when socializing with women. The same applies to crooners... Why are they so successful in their album sales? Because women want to be serenaded to, treated with care and respect, no matter how modern we are... and men, well, should take a hint from these smart marketers.


Equality between the sexes is great. Much work remains to be done there... But, in this process of redefining proper social etiquette to be fair to everyone, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater... Good manners, proper presentation and charm don't go unnoticed. That, of course, goes for both parties.


Guys, there's no need to have a singing voice to be appreciated by women or your female friends. Dress up when it matters, remember your manners and learn a few cute-dorky steps: if they don't seduce the object of your affection, they will disarm her with the comic relief. Most of us don't want a prince; we just want guys we're happy to talk to over dinner, who'll believe we're interesting, and who won't mind making a fool of themselves at our cousin's wedding when the catchy tunes spin.


Now... If only I could figure out how to buy "Good Ol' Fashioned Love" on iTunes, I'd have my fix! 

No comments:

Post a Comment