Monday, September 26, 2011

The Gospel According to Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel
Recently, I read a very interesting commented biography on Gabrielle Coco Chanel, authored by Karen Karbo. I love to learn about historical figures, however I rarely read biographies. Now, this is a bit of an exception. Firstly, Coco Chanel was a fascinating woman, by many standards, including the one that states my personal interest in fashion. Secondly, Karen Karbo has an incredible story telling ability. You see, this wasn't a chronological biography, but a thematic one...


Every chapter in the book is about a theme or an aspect of life. There are chapters on Style, Elegance, Femininity, Money, Work, Passion, Rivals, etc. Karbo approaches each theme by explaining Chanel's personal take or philosophy on the matter. 
The result is an impressive collection of jewels of wisdom (and proscriptions) from a celebrated designer, a social visionary and a remarkable woman. I find that I have learned more about Coco, than I would have by reading her life story as a linear tale. Her opinions and motos (oh! her famous motos...) were emphasized and it all felt very accessible.


The verve, the humour, the lessons. It felt like I was chatting about this incredible individual with an old friend, over coffee. I carried the book everywhere and felt terribly sad to finish the last page. William Feather's quote remains true: "Finishing a good book is like leaving a good friend." 


I highly recommend the book to anyone curious about fashion and about feminism. Coco Chanel was feminine yet assertive, she was elegant, yet practical; she redefined style and ultimately, beauty. She thought a woman should always wear a scent and pearls. Personally, I've learned a few valuable lessons about underpacking...


The Gospel According to Coco Chanel
by Karen Karbo

No comments:

Post a Comment