Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lindy Leader or simply obsessed?

Byron & Natalia, Swing Explosion V
I received a surprising facebook message from a very bright artsy-type in my friends list. She's one of my best friend's little sister.

"Mercedes, can you tell me where I could possibly learn how to swing dance here in Ottawa?"

This Concordia art student suddenly took an interest in swing dancing. I have yet to figure out how it is she has come to discover it, much less want to dance it. But, hey, I figured, why wouldn't anyone want to learn how to dance lindy hop? Doesn't it just seem like the coolest dance and the most fun someone can have for under $10? The bruises you acquire are a bonus.

The message prompted my instinctual eager-to-please and dance-fanatic response: "But of course! I'd be glad to help!" I was about the send her a detailed list of Ottawa schools, social nights and activities - my commentary included - until I paused to think... "Have I made it to Lindy Leader status? Or has Lindy Hop taken so much space in my life that it is burned into my skin?" Or was it both? The question was relevant and pushed me to put effort and care into my message back to her.

Promoting businesses and societies equally while still offering advice seemed like the professional attitude a Lindy Leader would choose by being a beneficial approach to the Ottawa scene; by presenting different dance options, we are opening the doors to the world of swing. A mere sample which may suit one individual may not fit another's personality of learning style. Drawing more people to swing dancing means an enriched community with a variety of dancers, sharing interests and talents to enable progress on the whole.


A few months ago, I took part in Swing Dynamite's Lindy Leaders workshop where we explored everything from teaching, to DJing and community building. It seemed to me that the information was a goldmine but all, well, rather above my head. I wasn't a teacher, I've never really DJed (that university morning radio show doesn't count!) and I wasn't part of any "community" per say. I was left wondering what I was doing there. Meanwhile, I've got what a lot of people call "contagious enthusiasm".

Exhibit A: I go dress shopping for CSC and explain the types of dresses I'm looking for to the sales lady.

"I'm a swing dancer you see, I need something breatheable that covers my back. A bright colour would be fantastic! Does the skirt twirl?
-You swing dance? That's the coolest thing I've heard! I had no idea there were places who taught swing here in the capital! Could I give it a shot? Do I need a partner? ..."

And so, everywhere I go, I tend to chat up random strangers and slip into conversation that I swing dance. One thing leads to another... and I've intrigued another person about Lindy Hop. My friends, on the other hand, are kind of tired of hearing about my lessons, those mythical swing friends they never see and they now dread my opening Youtube..."LOOK! That's a pancake!...Oh, oh, that's a knickerbocker! Now, that's mad charleston styling, right there."

Back to my initial question: I may not teach regularly, host community activities or turn swinging tunes to drive the crowd wild, but my near-obsession seems to earn me at least a "Lindy Keener" title. In my defense, I prefer to live with the Jitterbug fever rather than with an obsession-free life and an inability to "Shout and Feel it" to Count Basie.



1 comment:

  1. Your enthusiasm and dedication certainly make you a Lindy Leader.

    The Ottawa swing scene is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete