Sunday, April 18, 2010

Defining this blog, for sustainability



Water Ceiling, National Gallery
There are so many things I would like this blog to be about, but like most people in our fast-paced world, I tend to shrug off as unimportant anything that doesn't "have a point"... or doesn't seem to have a clearly defined niche. How could I expect anyone to read my blog if I don't define its purpose?

Actually, I sense I might even give in to leisurely activities other than write here and I will find no solid reason to be loyal to this blog. Afterall, there are so many novels to read, so many drinks to share, movies to watch, dances to be danced, shows to see, galleries to visit,
so many people to text or facecreep... Getting carried away in the endless opportunities that await, here. Therefore, I've decided to devote this to my two passions: Dance and Photography.

Ok, so perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little by saying that photography is a passion at this stage. Let's say, it is my glorified hobby. Dance remains my passion, no doubt about that. I was a dancer for 14 years before I took 4 years off to attend a Communications and Philosophy programme at the University of Ottawa and dabble in journalism and freelancing for a short while. Needless to say, I've joined the workforce like a good little soldier and now dedicated my career to communications. However much my professional field feels validating so far, there's something missing. Could it be my creative outlet? I think so.

Last summer (2009), I wanted to start applying my "do-er" philosophy. "What is a 'do-er' ?" you might ask. Well, simply put, my interpretation of it is, that instead of simply talking of things you wish to improve in your life, you ACTUALLY do it. Hence the "do-er" philosophy.

I began to search for dance styles and schools that might renew my fire for this artform I had been away for so long. Let's just say belly-dancing, not my forte. I did try contemporary dance, which I very much liked. But when I started swing dancing... that was love, baby.

The process continued... I had always wanted to learn about photography. So 2010 was my year! No time like right now, huh? I went ahead and bought the nicest, most polyfunctional DSLR my budget could afford (really, it couldn't but that's beside the point). I registered for a workshop, which I've completed this week-end with Harry Nowell Photography (best invested 350 $ in a long time, might I add). And the photo saga begins. I've even named my camera: Caleb.

Oh yeah, and back when I was freelancing for Le Droit and a few obscure papers, writing use to be my "thing" too, so hopefully, this blog will be a delightful melting pot of my interests, passions, likes, hobbies and discoveries.


In the hope that this might find some kindred spirits somewhere whom may appreciate these posts, I will embark on this journey with you. Cheers and let's dance!

1 comment:

  1. oh passions,passions,passions!!! Isn't it wonderful?!?

    Well i am glad to read about your life trepidation and most exciting falls.You'll be posting those too ,right???

    well i'll enjoy,like i've always done in our friendship and soon I'll join you in the photography part and humm may i dream to say in the dancing part too??Just gotta get rid of the better half first..hihi...kidding...almost!

    Enjoy blogging and do let your creativity flow trough your fingers to the keyboard! May you spill your mind in the amusing yet so artistic way that only you can do!

    Well i got to go 'cause i'l write you a romance novel soon!

    Love you my love!
    Femme perdue!

    ReplyDelete